About Y Sgwâr restaurant
Y Sgwâr restaurant opened on August 8th 2003. It is owned and run by David and Lorraine Lloyd-Roberts. David running his kitchen as Head Chef and Lorraine managing the front of the house.
Tremadog is a small village in the community of Porthmadog, in Gwynedd, North Wales.
Y Sgwâr is situated in the picturesque market square of Tremadog, with beautiful views of mountain backdrops. Tremadog also has a good quality rock climbing “crag” which attracts climbers from all over the UK, so if you’re a bit peckish, come to Y Sgwâr and enjoy our varied menus on offer. Soup, sandwiches or a hearty meal, come to the Y Sgwâr where a warm welcome awaits.
Call 01766 515451 to make a reservation
Perfect for special occasions, parties and get togethers
The restaurant is chic in style, the slate floor, original stone fireplace and stone archway offer historic touches to the otherwise contemporary style.
The restaurant seats 70 people and is an ideal place for any occasion or party bookings. David sources and prepares local food and all our meals are home-cooked.
We understand all dietary requirements and are happy to cater for Vegetarian, Celiac, Vegan, Dairy free and Lactose free diets. Anything else, please ask us.
We open for both lunches and evening meals. We offer an early bird menu in the evening from 18:00 until 19:00, as well as our a la carte menu.
We are also open every Sunday and offer a fantastic traditional Sunday lunch offering both lamb and beef.
A Brief History Of Tremadog
William Alexander Madocks
(17 June 1773 – September 1828)
William Alexander Madocks was born in London on 17 June 1773 to middle-aged parents.
When he was christened at St Andrew's Church, Holborn, he was given the name William after his grandfather, and Alexander after Alexander the Great, The Madocks family had long associations with Wales, traceable back to the time of King Henry II.
The land (Tremadog) was bought by Maddocks in 1798. It was flat land reclaimed from Traeth Mawr, the estuary of the Afon Glaslyn, and to enhance its appearance Madocks placed the Market Square, the centre of his project, just in front of a great crag of rock, the former edge of the estuary.
By mid-1805 Maddocks had already built some houses on the site of Tremadog. These were built on Traeth Mawr, near Tan-yr-Allt. These houses were located at the bottom of the village
The centre of Tremadog was complete by 1811 and remains unaltered.